Sunday, July 19, 2009

Love in the Time of Swine Flu

Can one join a nunnery without having to do all the nunny tasks that go with it?

Everywhere around me people are falling in love, getting married, and having babies (not necessarily in that order). I, on the other hand, have never been farther from the land of love. At least in school I was around guys all the time. Yes, no one else seemed to notice that fact, but it was always a possibility in my mind. Now, I never see guys my age. Even if I manage to get a job in a clothing store it will most likely be girl's clothing. The only boys I'll see there are attached or have a dirty little secret hidden in their closet.

The older I get, the lonelier I get. I used to be so busy that my love life (or lack-thereof) was rarely on my mind. As my schedule clears, I can feel a growing emptiness in my chest. It's like I've lost part of the quintessential experience of growing up. I've never had a high school sweetheart, a summer romance, or the experience of trying to keep a relationship going through the summer (which probably isn't a bad thing). I can't speak from personal experience when I give advice and I can't join in when girls tell horror stories about past relationships. It sometimes seems like my lack of romantic connections keep me from connecting with the rest of the world.

Some girls will read this and say things like "Boyfriends aren't all that great," "You are lucky to have your freedom," or "You don't need a man to be happy." Notice how all these girls have boyfriends...

I'm sure that someday I'll find the man of my dreams (or at least the man of the moment). But that belief does not ease the ache in my soul or the heart-breaking fear that I'll never experience love. Anthropologically speaking, one of the few characteristics that appear in all cultures is the existence of social relationships. As human beings, we are meant to feel a connection with those around us. To love, to truly love someone, is to feel the most beautiful connection: one that cannot be described in words and can never be forgotten. It is something that all of us should be lucky enough to experience.


So, to all those who have loved and lost and for those of us who have never loved at all: you have my excitement, my condolences, and my sympathy. Til next time...

Erika America

No comments:

Post a Comment